August 28, 2007

1.  Welcome

Approved minutes of previous meeting.

 

The committee reviewed and approved the Eagle Scout service project proposal of Elias J.

 

2.  Report from the PLC

Will N. reported that he will find a Scout to work with Becky Johnson on planning the upcoming Court of Honor.  He would also like to change the format of the occasional meeting and have the older Scouts do Road to First Class with the younger Scouts during the meeting.

 

 

3.  Scoutmaster’s Report

Tom DeGayner reported that there are 5 boys nearing Eagle: Elias J., Jon K., Brian C., Dan D., and Patrick C.  Tom wants us to once again begin holding merit badge class sessions after the troop meeting.  There will be one required merit badge and one fun one held each night from 8:00 to 8:45.  He will get the program started and then turn it over to a merit badge coordinator.

 

There will be no troop meeting on September 4 since that is the first day of school.  The September 11 meeting will include planning the food for the canoe trip, planning the Court of Honor, discussing the September 17 Pack meeting, a pinball game, and a remembrance of 9/11/2001.  This meeting will be held at the St. Mary’s gym.

 

Tom will initiate the calling tree to announce the cancellation of the September 4 troop meeting, the agenda and the changed location for the September 11 meeting, the availability of openings for the September 8 Young Eagles event, and the September 5 wood stuffing event.

 

Tomorrow night from 4:30 to 6:00 is Meet the Parents at Otter Lake.   Saturday, September 8 at 9:00 is Young Eagles at Lake Elmo Airport.  Tom will review the need for a permit for this event.

 

September 18 is the Court of Honor.  We expect a large turnout.  We are still short 46 segments from Tomahawk.

 

For the OA Fall Conclave on September 21-23 we have 6 Scouts going for Brotherhood and 3 Scouts and 1 adult going for  Ordeal.  Merit Badge Weekend will be November 2-4.  The District Fall Camporee is October 5-7.

 

The committee reviewed the handling of the new medications policy at Tomahawk.  The camp did not handle the process well, although it is unclear whether this is was  a problem of a bad policy or just poor execution.  Tomahawk insists that they are simply following the Wisconsin state law that National has insisted they follow.  The issue of confidentiality was also raised because by forcing these boys to leave the group and stand in a visible line the camp is violating their right to privacy that they are entitled to by HIPAA.  HIPAA is a federal law which will take precedent over the Wisconsin state law.  Tom, Janet Charbonneau, Becky Johnson and Joe Markham will invite Camp Director McCabe to our September committee meeting to discuss our experience.  For the meeting they will get personal statements from boys and adults to describe their experience with the new medications policy.

 

 

4.  Camping Report

John Clark reported that the Namekagon canoe trip is September 14-16.  Roger Scherping will work with John to develop a list of adults to assist in planning campouts.  He will also work with Tom and Will to see that patrols are assigned to help with planning campouts.

 

 

5.  Advancement Committee

Christy Bartlett is our new Advancement Record Keeper and will work with John DeMay, who is now our Advancement Coordinator.  John reported that after the Court of Honor next week they will begin another round of working with the boys.  Jim Letourneau is available to help as needed.

 

 

6. Quartermaster Report

Rick Rausch reported that after Tomahawk he had to replace one lantern that burned.  The committee approved the purchase of one plastic table.  Rick said that we would like to buy another cart someday.  He said that he purchased the 4 new tents that were previously approved.

 

 

7.  Treasurer’s Report

None

 

 

8.  Fundraisers

 

Scout Firewood:

Mike Cerney reported that we are scheduled to deliver to Camp DuNord the 600 bags of firewood that Ryan Solberg purchased for them when we go to our October campout the weekend of October 12.  We need to have a wood stuffing night on September 5 at 7:00.  We will also begin to have regularly scheduled wood stuffing nights on the Thursday following the committee meetings.

 

Wreaths and Popcorn:

Chuck Fullerton reported that he will distribute the wreaths information at the Court of Honor on September 18.  Chuck should check with the person who is coordinating the wreaths for Pack 437 to ensure that we are both charging the same prices.  Rick Rausch reported that he will distribute the popcorn information the same night.

 

Boxed Lunch:

Roger reported we plan to contact area dog clubs this winter to see if we can provide them with lunches at any of their events at Kelley Farms next summer.

 

 

9. Community Service

None

 

 

10.  New Business

Roger discussed our need for a merit badge coordinator, and Becky Johnson volunteered for the position.  Roger will work with her to develop a group of adult volunteers as merit badge counselors.

 

Tom mentioned that beginning with the canoe trip we will once again hold a Sunday morning non-denominational religious service as a part of our weekly campout.

 

Joe Markham reported that he is working on getting trained in youth protection so that he can train our adults.

 

 

12.  Comments/Closing – none

 

 

The next committee meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 25 at 7:00.