April 29, 2008

1. Welcome

Approved minutes from the last meeting.


2. Report from the PLC



3. New Troop Meeting Place Process

Roger Scherping reported that he is waiting for Mark Sather to let us know the date of the Rotary membership meeting at which we can make our presentation. In the meantime, troop members are making inquiries at First Lutheran and St. Pius. We will tour Bradshaw Funeral Home to see if we want to take them up on their offer of meeting there. We are talking with Gem Lake about storing our troop trailers at Heritage Hall next year. If we don’t find a meeting place soon, we may need to develop a more systematic approach to finding a location.


4. Scoutmaster Report

Tom DeGayner reported that Elias J. had his Eagle Court of Honor. The troop will host Brian C’s Eagle Court of Honor; we are awaiting the family’s invitation list. Deb Clarke and Christy Bartlett have offered to coordinate the event.

We had 30 Scout at the Heritage Park cleanup service project. The St. John’s Cemetery cleanup service project is Saturday from 9-12.

Tom will send a letter to the first years about getting a Scoutmaster conference with their parents before the May court of honor so they can receive their Scout badge. The court is on May 20. Roger and Tom will send Sara Hall an outline of how to plan a court of honor.


5. Camping Report

Todd Boehne reported that the May campout is backpacking. Several possible locations were discussed. The committee decided that the location should not be too difficult or too boring, and this it should be picturesque but not grueling. Tom and Todd will prepare a list of locations for the boys to vote on on Tuesday.

June is a bike trip, either biking back from Duluth or Sparta/Elroy. July is Tomahawk. August 22-24 will be a patrol campout. September 12-14 is the Namekagon canoe trip. October is either the District Fall Camporee or backpacking.

Mark Beckers reported that the 2008 high adventure campout will be canoeing in the BWCA August 1-8. We are signed up for 2 crews, up to 18 people. Cost is estimated to be $575. High adventure 2009 will be Philmont, and another deposit will be required at the end of the summer. We will try for Sea Base for high adventure 2010.


6. Tomahawk Planning

We have the annual Parents Meeting for Tomahawk on June 10. We need to arrange for a qualified individual to handle our medications this year (EMT, nurse, first responder, etc.). Tom to check to see if a Trained Medical Aid qualifies. Roger and Tom will investigate this issue as soon as possible.

Roger to follow up with Martina on the status of the planning. The swim test is not set yet.


7. Advancement Committee

John DeMay presented the Advancement Status Report. The committee is working with the older boys.


8. Quartermaster Report



9. Treasurer’s Report



10. Fundraisers

Keith Nelson reported that he is working on the upcoming Manitou 15k fundraiser. The t-shirts need to be ordered soon. Keith is ordering medals and permits. The course will be recertified in May. Donations of $500 have been received. Working on publicity. This event could use a volunteers coordinator and a timer coordinator (this position would save us $300). A decision on the timer must be made by mid-May.

Flowers delivery will be May 3 from 8-10 am. Adults will unload and sort while the boys are at the cemetery cleanup.

Mark Beckers reported that bagging fundraisers are planned for July 3 and 13, and additional days will be signed up for. Preference for these fundraisers will be given to the boys participating in high adventure campouts.


11. Community Service

Deb Clarke did another excellent job with Scouting for Food.


12. Adult Leader Training

Roger distributed the latest adult leader training database. There are still adults who need Youth Protection Training, and we need to do Merit Badge Counselor training.


13. New Business

Roger to follow up with Joe Markham about Friends of Scouting.

We received one complaint about the boys’ behavior at the Heritage Park cleanup.