June 30, 2009

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 pm.


1.  Welcome
The minutes from the last meeting were approved.


2. Report from the PLC
Nick S. was not present at the meeting. Brian B. filled in for Nick and reported on Grey Wolf.  This is a youth training program to teach Scouts about good leadership qualities; it is the youth equivalent of Wood Badge.  The program is run similar to Tomahawk.  Tom DeGayner noted that we sent two Scouts there this year.  Brian also stated that he learned a lot from the program and would encourage other Scouts to attend.

3. Scoutmaster Report
Tom DeGayner noted that the Scoutmaster transition is continuing and that the transition to Jim Letourneau will be complete after the September Court of Honor.


4. Camping Subcommittee
Mary Sue Abel reported that we are set for camping activities through December.  We are completing the planning for Ripley in October.  November will be a merit badge weekend at Phillippo with December being the Lock-In at
Shoreview Community Center.  She also reported that the Lake Elmo trip went well with 14 Scouts in attendance.

Mark Beckers reported that we recently came back from Nemadji State Forest with 16 Scouts and adults in attendance.

Mary Sue also noted that we will be preparing our own food at Tomahawk this year. She is currently working on finalizing a menu for the week as well as preparing an equipment list.

Roger reported that the swim tests at Maplewood Community Center did not go well due to the instructor administering the wrong test.  Everyone will be required to retake the swim test.  Roger will call the aquatics manager at Maplewood to see if we can redo the test.  Ken also picked two nights (7/13 or 7/16 weather-permitting) to pick up anybody else.

Tom reported that due to the H1N1 swine flu virus Tomahawk does not want anybody to come to camp that is feeling sick.  They will refund the fees for camp for anyone who is ill.

Roger noted that we will be charging $270 for first-year Scouts and $245 for everybody else for Tomahawk.  Fees break down to $186 for camping, $40 for food costs during the week, $5 for the meal on Wednesday, $5 for the annual t-shirt, and $10 for other supplies needed during camp.  Adults will be charged $10 per day for camping, including food costs.

Ken Rowe asked for a final roster for who is attending Tomahawk this year to charge Scout Bucks accounts accordingly.  Martina Grove noted that we currently have 39 Scouts attending.

Health forms will also be worked on in the next week or two.  Bear policies and camp rules will be discussed at the July 14 meeting.

The Scouts have selected a kiwi color for t-shirts this year.  Tracy Stumo-Langer should be able to order shirts soon.

Rick Rausch reported that propane tanks have been filled for Tomahawk and that he is currently preparing all of the troop equipment for Tomahawk.

Jeff Abel reported that on their trip to the Army surplus store.  Turnout was good with about 12 in attendance. Jeff may pick another day, such as July 15 or 16 to go back there for anyone else who would like to go there and check out the place.


5. Advancement Subcommittee
Tim Willard reported that the Subcommittee will begin meeting with Scouts again to discuss advancement.  He has also gone through merit badge books to note which ones will need to be updated.

Deb Clarke is coordinating with Tom on doing Boards of Review during Tomahawk.

The venue for holding the 15th anniversary celebration is being changed from St. Mary’s to St. Stephens.

6. Fundraising Subcommittee
Keith Nelson reported that there were many compliments given from the Manitou 15K race this year.  We had 185 participants this year with 167 crossing the finish line.  We distributed more than $3,000 to approximately 35 Scouts this year.  This was Keith and his wife’s fifth and final year coordinating the 15K race.  The Committee thanked Keith and Julie for their efforts on behalf of the Scouts.

Michele Willard noted that grocery bagging is scheduled for July 2 from 2:00 to 8:00 pm at the Cub Foods in White Bear.  Ted Wallerstedt wrote excellent instructions for this fundraiser which have been put in the secured section of the website. 

There are no new reports on Scout Firewood.

Chuck Fullerton reported on his review of Mickman Brothers as a wreath provider for next year’s wreath fundraiser.  After reviewing profit margins for Evergreen versus Mickman, it was recommended that we stay with Evergreen as a wreath provider next year.  The Committee agreed.

Michele also noted that we would need someone to head up fence painting at Victoria Station as well as someone for possibly doing car washes at the White Bear Fire Department.  Michele also discussed the dunk tank fundraiser at Little Canada Days on August 1.  She will sign up for 6-8 pm.


7. Community Service Subcommittee
Jim Hering reported that we have Relay for Life on Friday, July 31 at South Campus.  The boys will help people carry things and set up tents.  He has not heard anything further about volunteering to have a color guard there.

We also have Feed My Starving Children on October 20.  We will meet at and depart from Otter Lake Elementary with bagging taking place from 6:00 to 7:00 pm. We do have a limit of 35, as this is how much space we have reserved.

Jim will also check with the Salvation Army about collecting used toys at Christmas time for Sharing and Caring Hands

Volunteers for Habitat for Humanity must be 16 or older in order to work on job sites.

Other items brought up include helping at bingo nights at White Bear Care Center and helping with the Heartbeat 5000 race.  Jim is trying to get a contact with the Pine Tree 5k.


8. Website Subcommittee
Steve Anastasi reviewed several options for updating the troop website.  He has been exploring free tools, primarily from Google, to implement on our site. He is also looking at ways to be able to grant people access to the site to update and load new information themselves.  Our next step would be to transfer data from our current site to our new site, which we could do over the course of a couple months. The Committee gave the recommendation for Steve to move on with the site overhaul.


9. Treasurer’s Report
Ken Rowe reported that Scout Bucks statements were handed out recently.  Tomahawk charges have not been recorded yet, nor has the final $100 fee for Philmont.  He will call those with outstanding balances to collect fees.


10. Old Business
Roger noted that the June Rotary presentation will hopefully be done sometime in July.


11. New Business
No new business.


12. Comments/Closing
Meeting adjourned at
9:15 pm.