October 27, 2009

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 pm.

1. Welcome
The minutes from the last meeting were approved.


2. Report from PLC
Nick S. reported that he has been implementing the switch between the patrol leaders and their assistants.  He wants to get everyone actively involved in their patrols during activities at troop meetings.  He also reported that
Camp Ripley was a success and that everyone had a good time there.  Nick also conducted a survey with the patrols several weeks ago and learned that they want to see more organization when it comes to activities conducted at the troop meetings.


3. Scoutmaster Report
Jim Letourneau reviewed his Scoutmaster Report.  He discussed non-rank advancement Scoutmaster Conferences, ways to keep our troop at the forefront of what Scouting should be today, position of responsibility signoff cards, roles of the assistant Scoutmasters, the Patrol Method, and current Scout positions of responsibility. 

Jim also gave the Committee an update on Scouts who are currently working on Eagle.


4. Camping Subcommittee
Mary Sue Abel reported that the next campout is Merit Badge Weekend at Phillippo in
Cannon Falls.  We will be using the Gwin Center and cabins for the weekend.  Tim Willard noted that we need adults to help out with merit badge classes.  Two Eagle-required merit badges will be offered there: Personal Fitness and Citizenship in the Nation.

The Lock-In will be December 12, and Jim will follow up with Christy Bartlett to invite Pack 437. 
Eagle Cave is scheduled for January and is mostly filled.  Mary Sue and Nick S. are working together to finalize plans for February.

The High Adventure Subcommittee for Sea Base will have its first meeting next week during the troop meeting.

Rick Rausch reported that the troop acquired several backpacking stoves from Tom DeGayner that will be put into use next season.


5. Advancement Subcommittee
Tim Willard reported that the Subcommittee has recently been working on a process to more effectively schedule boards of review.  The Subcommittee will be using a request sheet (not a “signup” sheet) to be able to coordinate when the Scouts are ready to have their boards.  This process will make it easier to set up a panel of adults to conduct boards.

Tim also wants to get a list of Scouts who are close to Eagle to discuss with them an advancement timeline. 

Christy Bartlett submitted the latest advancement report.  We have 10 Tenderfoots, 3 Second Class, 14 First Class, 9 Star, 8 Life, and 2 Eagles.

The 15th Anniversary celebration went very well.  The turnout from the alumni was low, but overall the troop attendance was satisfactory.  It was a very enjoyable event.


6. Fundraising Subcommittee
Michelle Willard was not present at the meeting, but Roger Scherping reported to the Committee that we are signed up for grocery bagging in November and December.  Chuck Fullerton is requesting that all wreath orders be turned in by tomorrow evening.  Joe Hetzer collected popcorn orders at the meeting but will also be taking them until November 6.


7. Community Service Subcommittee
Jim Hering noted that Feed My Starving Children was last Tuesday.  He reported that he would have liked to see more Scouts at the event; there were more than enough adults in attendance. Overall, the evening was very successful, and along with another group from the area, we were able to pack 44 cases of food that will be shipped out to help the needy.  The Committee complimented Jim on by getting two new events, Relay for Life and Feed My Starving Children, which will now be annual events and which have helped us change the direction of our service program to be more oriented to showing the boys the importance of helping the needy.

Jim also noted that he has not heard back from the staff at the Comforts of Home Center.

Roger will check with Ann Cerney on Adopt a Family.


8. Website Subcommittee
Roger Scherping will call Steve Anastasi to get an update on the troop website.  A copy of the 15th Anniversary PowerPoint presentation from last weekend was given to Roger for Steve to add to the website.


9. Treasurer’s Report
None.


10. Old Business
Roger Scherping reported that he sent recruitment letters to the Webelos I and II of Pack 437.  All 19 of these Cubs and their families are already on our weekly email list.

Roger reviewed the High Adventure Planning Process that is a proposed addition to our Troop Guidelines. Comments taken from the last meeting were incorporated into the new draft of the policy.  The Committee asked that the Process be revised again to:  (1) eliminate any fundraising requirements; (2) incorporate a mandatory Signup meeting at which all interested participants will be provided with all the information they need to decide whether or not they would like to sign up for the campout; and (3) incorporate an objective selection process in the event there are more people interested than we can accommodate.  Roger will revise the document again and send it out to the Committee for approval via email since the next Committee meeting is not until December.


11. New Business
Roger reported that we received an offer of assistance from Venburg Tire if there is anything we need for our troop trailers.

Roger reported that a Scout was at St. Stephen’s tonight to discuss transferring to our troop.  He will be at our next troop meeting.

Roger reported that the next troop meeting will be at St. Mary’s School due to the elections that night.


12. Comments/Closing
The meeting was adjourned at
9:20 pm