October 28, 2014

TROOP 494 COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES - TUESDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2014

1.  Welcome - Roger Scherping - Minutes approved from last meeting.

2.  Youth Protection Training – Committee members in attendance viewed and performed the online Youth Protection Training as a group.

3.  Scoutmaster Report - Jeff Abel –

The composting fundraiser for Adopt a Family met their goal of raising $300.  In the past the troop has tried different ways to make the event meaningful and will talk to the PLC to see if they want to shop this year or deliver a check.

There are several Pack 437 activities that we should participate in including: Egg Drop Challenge Dec. 8, Polar Camp Jan. 10 (this date conflicts with Eagle Cave but maybe boys that are staying back could go. Otherwise, we may have to cancel that activity), Pinewood Derby Feb. 14 which was changed to Feb 7th 

4.  Camping Committee-MarySue Abel-

High Adventure: BWCAW 2015 - High adventure crew numbers are ample and another scout signed up.  Discussed possibly adding the new high adventure site starting 2017 after this cycle ends.

Campouts: November Survivor Man Nov. 14 reserved at Philippo, Lock In Dec. 13, Eagle Cave Jan. 9 (make sure Zach keeps original for parent approval), Merit Badge Weekend February 6 or 20, Dog Sledding Feb. 14.  MarySue will start to look into the February activities.  Typically they have gone to Duluth for a day trip; cost is about $100. The Tomahawk dogsledding fills up quickly and the boys would have to plan right away if they wanted to do that next year.  Jeff will talk with the PLC to see if they still want to do this. 

Quartermaster Report - Sam Hunter- The spare tire is mounted, and he has time to work on replacing the canopy poles. Patrol box inspections will be done at the Nov. campout. Still investigating mounting the first aid kit.

5.  Advancement Committee - Road to First Class update - Joe Mikkelson/Marc Johannsen – Alex and Jack are the new assistants.  Nothing new to report with the advancement status.

6.  Report from PLC - Brendan shared what types of events the Scouts are interested in for the Survivorman Campout as well as planning a more structured activity schedule for the Lock In.  It was decided that the January Fun Night will be going to Vertical Endeavors.

7.  Fundraising Committee – Mike Cogan

Wreaths/Popcorn: Mike reported sales are closed and if he had to guess there maybe a little more sold this year with popcorn and a little less with wreaths.  The online order turn-in process went much better with only a few suggestions for next year.  Approx. Totals=Popcorn $6,200 Wreaths=$15,500, Order pick up is Nov. 21-22 at Jim’s house. They will have a recap meeting and plan for 2015 when all is done.

Composting Fundraiser was Oct. 25th raising $767.81 with 13 boys.  The 10-2pm shift was very busy, the 2 hour shifts seemed to work well, and weather was perfect, Rick reported.  The committee decided to keep it on the schedule for next year.  Suggestions for next year include haviong boys bring water or a case of it and having at least 6 kids each shift. 

8.  Community Service Committee-John Mercier

Gabe’s fundraiser is Nov. 1 put on by the WBL Hockey Association. Zach should check the sign up sheet for shift times: 12-3, 3-6pm

Clearwater Creek Clean Up is Nov. 8 - Michelle Sylvander reported what needs to be done.  There will be one shift from 9-12pm with Sylvander’s providing lunch.  Participants need to bring rakes, gloves, etc. to bag leaves. Trailers are needed as well to get materials to a centrally located city dumpster.  Zach will need to put adults with trailers on signup sheet.  St. Stephen's also communicated that they would like their leaves raked.  Roger will get more info and get back to us with specifics, but decided to do this from 1-3pm on Nov. 8th after the Clearwater Creek event.  Zach will need to make a signup sheet for this as well.

Kelly Deery is interested in coordinating Adopt-A-Family and the delivery of the gifts.

9.   Treasurer's Report-Ken Rowe-

He is getting caught up with all the fundraising events now, and in a few weeks he should be giving out new ScoutBucks reports.   

10. Other –

Website update - Ken Hall and Mark Toner will be helping Tim with making the automated event signup sheets system.

Fun Night is Nov. 4th at SkyZone.  Mike Pendergast has made reservations.

Dan reports that feedback is good for the Parents Roundtable.

Scott Wisgerhof is almost done with rechartering and was pleased with how it went.

11.  Old Business-

Flag Finials, poles and stands will be purchased with the composting funds in time for the next Court of Honor. 

Additional adults are being recruited, and Joe is looking for additional help in the RTFC.  Eric Barth will be one of our Board of Review Coordinators.  The Committee discussed the need to find a new Treasurer and Camping Coordinator.

12.  New Business –

There will be no November Committee meeting, but will have a meeting in December after Christmas. 

Pat Mahoney described his Wood Badge project which is becoming a Leave No Trace trainer. He will need to have a Scout designee to assist in some of the tasks since Peder S. will be aging out.  Pat is looking at getting the troop more engaged in demonstrating these principles.

Clint Koskie asked if the Den Chief position is appropriate to have again. Jeff said he will approach the PLC.  They would need to go 2 Pack meetings a month at Otter Lake. 

 

 

Comments