June 2016

TROOP 494 COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES JUNE 28, 2016

 

1. Welcome – Scott Wisgerhof welcomed the Committee.

2. Wyatt N. update – Roger Scherping notified the Committee that Wyatt’s Eagle project fell through.  He turns 18 on July 20 and must complete 5 merit badges (all partials) and do his project and his Scoutmaster Conference.  He has found a project with the White Bear Historical Society working with Jeanenne Rausch.  If he gets the benefiting organization to sign off this week, the Committee will get a group together this weekend to approve his project, and Marc Johannsen will ensure that the District signs off on July 5.  He will then have 15 days to complete everything.

3. Scoutmaster Report – Jeff Abel was not present, but the Committee decided that the Bear Talk will be on July 12.

4.  Camping Report

Duluth to Hugo Bike Trip – Dan Feidt reported that it was a great time.  He said that some of the boys said it was great to see new parents participating.  Next time we will look for more campsites that allow us to go swimming.

Tomahawk – July 16

Eric Bergquist reported that we have 39 Scouts and 15-19 adults daily.  There will a food planning meeting after the Committee meeting.  The family dinner on Wednesday is all planned.  The trailers will be reviewed on Thursday to ensure everything is ready.

Ken Rowe will hold makeup swim test on Wednesday the 13th or Thursday the 14th.   Clint Koskie reported he still needs a few health forms.  He will send an email.  He is also preparing a meds spreadsheet for at camp.

At the next two meetings we will remind everyone about action packers, snack boxes and tent signs.  We will also have tent partner signups.  The boys determined that the shirt color will be candy apple red; shirts need to be ordered next week.  

The trailers will be towed by Sam Hunter and John Mercier.  Pam Blank has merit badge cards for next week.

Fishing Day Trip – Roger reported that we are all set with Dave Genz for August 27 at Montessippi Park.

Namekagon – Dan Feidt and John Mercier will get to the campsite early on September 8 to claim some spots. 

Eagle Cave – Eric will make a deposit for 30 in July.  We will talk to the boys about another alternative for January 2018.

High Adventure:

2016 Apostle Islands – August 6-13 – There have been some training sessions.  Sam is working on the tour permit. 

2017 Philmont – July 31 – Nothing yet, although training begins in September.

 

5. Quartermaster – No update on trailer storage.

6.  Advancement Committee –

Pam reported that we have had 2 advancements since the Court of Honor and that Troopmaster will be moving to a web-based application.

No update on the Merit Badge schedule.

Road to First Class – Marc reported that next Wednesday or Thursday night the boys will be doing lifesaving.  Most of the boys are nearly Tenderfoot and should get to Second Class at Tomahawk. 

Road to Life – Dan reported that he is getting the boys their advancement records.

Scott reported that there will be 2 Eagle Scout Boards of Review tomorrow night at 7 at City Hall: Alex W. and Ryan F.

 

7.  Report from PLC – Trenten A. reported that they will play Ultimate Frisbee and work on Biking merit badge at the next meeting.  We will discuss Tomahawk at the next 2 meetings. 

8.  Fundraising Committee –

Patti Brown reported that the Manitou 15k went well.  We had a few less sponsors this year, and the boys made $57 each.  Patti is trying to get us signed up for the Community Room for 2017, but they are saying we can only sign up 6 months in advance.  If she can’t get anywhere, she will talk to Roger so he can talk to Mark Sather.  The course will be recertified once we get signed up.  Roger suggested that we get more adults involved in the planning next year.  It was suggested that the boys take over some of the planning.  John Mercier is getting a quote on digital timing.

Scott will work with Todd Hartjen and Gordon Brock to set up the composting fundraiser for October 29.

9.  Community Service – John reported that Marketfest set up is on July 28 at 4:30, and take down is at 8:45.  Relay for Life is July 29 at 4:30, when we will help with setup and do the flags ceremony.

10.  Treasurer’s Report – Deb Torenvliet reported that there are 10 ScoutBucks accounts that are negative and must be paid before Tomahawk.

11. Other -- No update on the wireless boosters at the church, equipment lists for the new boys, or texting services.  Clint reported that the adult fun night will be July 26, and he will send information. 

12.  New Business

Roger reported that we have been invited by Troop 433 of Mahtomedi to participate in a troop challenge that will get our two troops to get to know each other and to interact.  Roger will let them know that we will participate and tell their SPL to contact ours.

The troop picnic will be August 16. Mike Pendergast will plan this.

Roger reported that Jason Bahrke has an opportunity for an older boy to earn some money doing chores for an older couple.  Roger will make an announcement at an upcoming troop meeting.

No update on Scout Patrol Boards.

The Committee approved Ethan H’s Eagle Scout project.