TROOP 494 COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2013
1. Welcome Roger Scherping
- Meeting called to order. Minutes
approved from last meeting noting a correction to the number of crews for Isle
2. Report from PLC Quintin A./Paul J.: They reported that for March Planning Weekend
they will be encouraging brainstorming. Scouts did not show interest in the
speed career exploration night as the school does so much of this, but they were
open to tying it to a merit badge exploration.
There was also no interest in participating in the WBL parade.
3. Scoutmaster Report Jim Letourneau
- Pack 437 Blue and Gold is 3/10. We are
waiting for a script from OA chapter for ceremony. There are a total of 9 Scouts crossing over.
- New Scouts night is 3/12. We will send
out an agenda for planning in an email.
- Adult OA nomination: This year the troop elected 12 youth into OA, therefore
we can select 1 adult for every 3 youth = 4 adults. Possible adult candidates who need to be
registered leaders were discussed. If
elected they would have to attend the conclave in the fall and attend the Sunday
ceremony at Tomahawk.
-Jim reported he will work on the Grey Wolf Scout selection.
-Discussed if there should be a direction given to the boys on the number of Eagle
mentor pins given out. Decided to
continue to monitor and make sure that the boys really think about the decision
4. Camping Committee MarySue Abel
- High Adventure: In a few more
weeks we should have a decision about campsite reservations for Isle Royale. SeaBase reservations have changed slightly
after lottery results received. We now
have 4 sailing crews and 1 Out Island crew reserved. Scuba was not available, but we are on a waiting
list for 3 dates in August. To try to
accommodate this, two more sailing crews were added which are now reserved for 8th-9th
x 2 crews and 8th-11th x 2 crews. The Out
Island is currently reserved for 1 week later (8/15), and our name was put on a
waiting list for the same week as sailing to try to get some overlap of crews. We will have to be patient to see if things
- Camping store - Jeff Abel -He will
get over to the Army Surplus and see what they have. He may have enough in stock currently for
cross over gifts.
5. Advancement Committee Christy Bartlett
- Road to First Class update Jeff Abel/Joe Mikkelson/Marc Johannsen/Ken Rowe: Scouts are finalizing the Road to First Class
Campout preparations tonight.
- Advancement status: We are waiting on Sam and Peder’s approval from the
- Eagle Expo March 5 preparations: Shelly will print the advancement records
for all boys First Class and over. Expo is
open to First Class rank and above ~ 23 Scouts.
-Many Waters Merit Badge weekend is
April 5-6, offering 22 merit badges at Fred C. for its 30th
Anniversary. Marc will put out a sign-up sheet to see how
many Scouts are interested.
- Eagle-required merit badge program:
Bridget will put out a sign-up sheet for the March 19 Citizenship in the
Nation merit badge.
6. Fundraising Committee Ryan Solberg :
It was decided to not try to get an
opportunity to do a fundraiser in May at the compost yard; we’ll wait for fall
instead. He has not had success yet in
reaching the coordinator to finalize dates.
- Flowers Michele Willard: Ryan reported
that Michele was not going to offer the gift cards this year.
- Electronic orders process – Roger
reported Tim is working on the new online order process and reviewed the new
7. Community Service Committee John
- Heritage Park Cleanup date 4/23 is right before Basic Skills Weekend on 4/26. Decided to leave it.
- Scouting for Food is 5/4.
8. Treasurer's Report Ken Rowe
- Insurance on troop trailers – Ken
now has a name at the Rotary to talk to about the insurance.
- ScoutBucks statements: nothing new
- Website update Tim Willard: nothing new
- Adult Leader Training update Dave DiSera: nothing new
- Fun Night update Mike Pendergast: nothing to report
10. Old Business
- Troop capital campaign update: Roger
reports that we are at 61% of our goal at $5,500. The go-ahead was given to start looking for a
new trailer. We are waiting to hear from
5 more civic organizations. We may have
to think about the next phase for raising the amounts that may be remaining. We have brainstormed other possibilities that
would not take away from the boys.
- FOS update: Marc Johannsen reports we are about half way to our goal. It is coming in slowly. The deadline is April 15th. Will send out reminder letters mid-May.
- Fleece jacket idea- Deb Clarke: She got a sample from Hisdahls with a quote
for ¼ zip jacket for $22.50 with logo, $3-5 for name additional, plus an
overall $50 digitizing fee. Committee
members liked the color orange with black piping. Discussed pros and cons of making it
optional vs. part of our mandatory uniform.
Decided to make it optional, but strongly encouraged. Will try to start to get sizes at next weeks
- Metal rank display- Marc is getting quotes for a display board to show ranks. It is a metal magnetic board ~ 4x6 feet with
11. New Business
- Remaining firewood at Christy’s parents: Question what to do with it as we need to move
it. Will talk to Ryan Solberg about
legality of moving it and using it on campouts.
- Question if there were any ways to
better the sound dynamics in the church for meetings. The committee gave ideas how to improve it
including changing layout, using chairs only, standing more, using a half
circle format. Feedback will be given to
the SPLC to take these things into consideration.