April 26, 2011

Troop 494 Committee Minutes
Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The meeting was called to order at 7:15 pm.

1. Welcome
The minutes from the last meeting were approved.


2. Report from PL C
Brian B. noted that monthly PLC meetings seem to be more successful than having them on a weekly basis.  He reported that they are finishing planning for Basic Skills this weekend.  The PLC has also established a troop mobilization plan for those working on Emergency Preparedness merit badge.


3. Scoutmaster Report
Jim Letourneau and Brian noted that the PLC has not discussed whether we should do Adopt A Family again this coming year.  We need to figure out a way to get Scouts more involved and raise the money themselves instead of just having their parents donate the money.


4. Camping Subcommittee
MarySue Abel discussed this weekend’s Basic Skills campout at Fred C.  We currently have a total of 65 Scouts and adults who will be attending.  This is the most for a weekend campout in years.

MarySue reported that we are finalizing the crews for Northern Tier.  Linda Henry reported on transportation for Northern Tier.  She is currently investigating options for 12-passenger van rental for the trip.  Linda noted that we would not be able to hook up any trailers to the vans per rental company policy, so we will need a troop member’s car to pull the trailer.

MarySue noted that merit badge signups are starting for Tomahawk.  Deb Clarke noted that she will begin compiling health forms.  Fees for Tomahawk will be $280 for non-first-year Scouts, $305 for first-years, and $90 for adults.  Fees will be due around July 1.  We signed up for 40 boys (not including first years).  We have also tentatively set the swim test date for June 28 at Maplewood Community Center; Christy Bartlett will check at the Community Center for open dates.

MarySue also reported that we have reserved the Shoreview Community Center for this year’s Lock-In on December 12.


5. Advancement Subcommittee
Jeff Abel noted that most of our new Scouts have completed Scout badge requirements. The goal is to have them complete Tenderfoot at Tomahawk.

Christy reported that many Scouts who are currently at Star rank are getting close to Life rank.  Jim Letourneau, Shelly Jokinen, and Christy will compile a set of forms and other tools that can be used to help them complete their Eagle requirements.

The Committee decided to hold our own troop Eagle Expo on Sunday, June 15 at 6:00 pm. Location is to be determined.

Allen Clark’s Eagle Court of Honor is May 10 after the troop meeting.

The next troop Court of Honor is June 14.

Ben Hetzer’s Eagle Board of Review is Thursday night.


6. Fundraising Subcommittee
At last week’s troop meeting Jason Bahrke began a fundraiser to sell gift certificates to people for a massage at a local White Bear Lake business.  It will be continuing through May.

Michele Willard noted that there are still several boxes of flowers to be sold.  Adult volunteers are needed to sort and unload flowers for pickup and delivery on May 7 beginning sometime between 10 and 12 until 1:30, when pickup will begin and run until 3:30.  It is at Community Park in Vadnais Heights.

Michele also talked more about Dining and Discounts.  We will be receiving cards and information around June 3.  Michele will talk about the fundraiser at the June Court of Honor.

Bridget Newman provided an update on the Manitou 15k.  She has already collected more in sponsorships than last year.  T-shirts designs will be voted on at the Heritage Park cleanup. 


7. Community Service Subcommittee
Deb Clarke noted that we collected 1,925 pounds of food during Scouting for Food last weekend.  This is considerably more than last year’s 1,500 pounds.  We will get a count of who delivered food to the food shelf to get service hours recorded.

Bill Johnson reported on Heritage Park cleanup, which will be on May 3 instead of the troop meeting.  We will meet at the park and proceed to the Bartlett house at 6:00 pm for dinner before the cleanup.

 
8. Treasurer’s Report
Ken Rowe distributed a report to the Committee on our financial status.  Most of the money from the flower fundraiser has been collected as of this date.  There are currently seven Scout Bucks accounts that are overdrawn.

Ken will work on assigning replacement costs to the contents of the troop trailers so that we can purchase insurance.

9. Old Business
Roger Scherping noted that Tim Willard is our new Troop Webmaster.

Roger also noted that with the donations received during the Committee meeting, we have met our base goal for this year.


10. New Business
None


11. Comments/Closing
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.