October 25, 2011

TROOP 494 COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2011

1.  Welcome - Roger Scherping

·         Minutes approved from last Committee meeting.  Congratulations to Mark Johannsen for becoming the new mayor of Vadnais Heights.

 

2A.  Agenda addition: 

·         Eagle project proposal by Karl S.  Project entails putting steps into a hill that goes down to a set of lower soccer fields at Polar Bear Park in White Bear Township.  He answered questions from Committee members and received recommendations for:  getting measurements of hill to plan the number of steps needed; getting information from Township about ADA requirements; getting information about erosion control; calling about utility locations; checking on approval by park board and town council; making day by day work plan and a sketch of plan.   He plans to look into the offered recommendations by next Tuesday to get final approval from Committee members and go to the next District meeting.  He would like to perform the project yet this fall if possible.   


2. Report from PLC - Brian B.

·        Adopt-a-Family fundraising progress:  So far, the Scouts have collected $108.40.  The goal is to get to $150.  They will keep the donation bucket out for the upcoming popcorn sale to continue collecting.  If money still needed, several ideas were proposed to come up with the remaining money.

·        January and February camping:  January: Brian reported that the Scouts would like to go to Eagle Cave.  Mary Sue will check to see if it is available.  In Feb. they would like to have a ski/snowboard day or winter fun day in the snow. We may have to reverse our January and February plans if Eagle Cave is not available.

·        Merit Badge Weekend – Brian reported the Scouts offered several ideas for possible merit badges: Disability Awareness, Engineering with some pre-work needed, Reading, Traffic Safety, Computers, Modeling with some pre-work needed.  Roger, Mary Sue and Brian will get together to put together a schedule of activities which will assist in determining which and how many merit badges to work on.  In the future, Roger would like to get back to having 3-4 merit badges on MB Weekend.

·        Fun Night at Base Camp – Date set for Thursday Nov. 17th would be an open fun night at Base Camp.  The open session there is a flat rate fee for all activities, which are supervised.  Activities include archery, climbing, simulators, etc.  We will not have a troop meeting on November 15th.


3.  Scoutmaster Report - Jim Letourneau – not present.

·        Cub Scout fall recruitment update: no update


4.  Camping SubCommittee  - MarySue Abel   

·         2012 Philmont - Just sent in second installment payment.  She is currently setting up a sub-Committee so, let Mary Sue know if you are interested in assisting.  There are still openings left for the Philmont trip.

·         January and February plans:  The PLC is still deciding what to do.  Ideas are skiing, snowboarding, dogsledding, winter camping.  They will work on it.  See above.

·        Nov: Camp Ripley is set. Camp Ripley activities include: EST 2000 weapon simulator, confidence course.  Pat will check to see if other activities are also available: rappelling course, movie theater, museum, orienteering course.

·        Dec. is Lock In.  Need to get a formal signup sheet going.

·        Quartermaster Report - Rick Rausch:  still working on the inventory list.

·        Camping store - Jeff Abel:  no update.

 

5.  Advancement SubCommittee - Christy Bartlett

·     Road to First Class update - Jeff Abel/Joe Mikkelson/Marc Johannsen:  Most of the first years are close to getting Tenderfoot rank, with a few close to First Class.

·     Advancement status: No new information.  Two more boys have reached Tenderfoot. 

·     Merit Badge Weekend Nov. 11 planning:  see above.

 

6.  Fundraising SubCommittee - Ryan Solberg

·         Park fees for Manitou 15k:  Roger reported fees waived as long as we take out our own garbage.

·         Wreaths - Jim Golding:  Orders are being taken.

·         Popcorn - Pat Stoterau:  Overall, Show and Sell has seemed to be a good experience even though the number of Scouts that have volunteered have not been as great as anticipated.   So far, over $1500 of popcorn has been sold over 5 Show and Sell shifts.  Next, he will need help using the left over Show and Sell popcorn to fill orders.

·         Calendar presentation  - Roger: presented final calendar.  250 calendars have been ordered.  They will be sold for $15 each or $2/25.  Roger presented setting up an online E-commerce fundraising account using Volusion E-commerce site.  We discussed whether allowing credit cards would help fundraiser sales.  Downside is that the E-commerce site would cost $510 first year + 5% credit card fee with a three year commitment to have the credit card.    Members wonder how it compares to PayPal.  Roger will look into it.   Roger proposed how the E-Commerce site could be used for our other yearly fundraisers.  Decision made to try the E-Commerce site for calendar fundraiser for 45 days and then cancel without penalty to review. 

7.  Community Service SubCommittee -  Jim Hering

·         Feed My Starving Children report:  27 kids + 10 adults participated.  Everything went well, packing 11,000 meals.  The Scouts did a great job!  Feed My Starving Children staff there reported they are looking for Scouts who need to do Eagle Scout projects for them.  Committee member Laurie Hamlin will be the new Community Service Committee Chair.

8.   Treasurer's Report – Ken

·         Scout Bucks statements have been handed out.

·         Financial statements: Liabilities mostly are due to future campouts expenses (Philmont).  ScoutBucks seems low on average compared to historical standards, but that’s due to timing.  Net income is about $1,000, which is ahead of our annual budget estimates.

9. Other

·        Website update - Tim Willard : no update

·        Adult Leader Training update - Dave DiSera: no update

·        Fun Night update: Base Camp - Mike Pendergast: see above

10.  Old Business

·         Rotary meeting – Roger: We have our (almost) annual presentation.  As usual, they loved the video and enjoyed hearing all about their troop.


11.  New Business

·         Will have the next Committee meeting on Nov. 29, but will skip Committee meeting of Dec. 27.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 9:00.