Sept 27

September 2016 Troop 494 Committee Meeting Minutes


1.  Welcome - Scott Wisgerhof welcomed members and began meeting.

3.  Scoutmaster Report -  Marc Johannsen reported that the Cub Scout Open House is October 18 and reviewed the agenda.  He also discussed the Arrow Conclave.

 4.  Camping Committee - Eric Bergquist reported that the Namekagon Canoe Trip was well attended and all enjoyed it.   The Tournament Campout is Oct 14-16 but no one is currently signed up, so it will have to be promoted with possible cancellation if not.  Scouting Skills Campout is Nov 11-13 at Fred C in the Adirondack cabin.  High Adventure:  Sheila reported that 2017 Philmont is  July 31-Aug 12.  There will be a planning meeting Oct. 11th, only 2 people have not made the needed advance payment.  The committee agreed to have the Wilderness First Aid classes on Tuesday nights starting in Jan. 10th.  Sheila will coordinate location at the church with the church secretary.  2018 High Adventure ideas were suggested including: Bechtel Scout Camp and Florida Sea Base.  Noah commented that Scouts that attended Summit Bechtel did not really think of it as a High Adventure type camp with the offerings that it had.  Bechtel early bird registration opens Oct 2017, FSB lottery begins Jan 15, 2017 for 2018. The scouts will have to decide what to do.

5.  Quartermaster - Sam Hunter reported that if we replace the cooking canopy we will have to find someone who can put a vent in the canopy since the ones he has found do not have vents.   Christ the King has offered to store the trailers by their current garages.  The troop would need to get a tongue lock and provide paperwork for liability purposes which Marc has volunteered to do.   

6.  Advancement Committee - Pam reported Advancement status : 2 new,  13 Scouts, 3 Tenderfoot, 3- 2nd Class, 13- 1st Class, 9 Star 13 Life, 1 Eagle. She still needs Wyatt N’s merit badge cards.  Jennifer Green will be transitioning into her role.  Marc will take extra scout badges she was holding onto.  Deb Martin volunteered to be the Court of Honor Coordinator.  Record Coordinator will be Jennifer Greene.  Pam is Advancement Chair.  Ken reported that “Pets” will be the next merit badge offered by Sam Hunter, Thank you.  Pete reports that RTFC is getting ready for the RTFC campout in two weeks, so they will be ready for the COH in Jan.  Ken and Pete will possibly have 2 new RTFC scouts starting and are invited to come Nov 1 for fun Night at Sky Zone.   Road to Life update - Mike L. is overlooking who has leadership positions and will follow up with the incomplete merit badge cards.

6.  Report from PLC - Trenten A discussed October troop meeting activities. He has received a list of dates from the other troop for the Tournament Competition in January.  Tonight there were only 3 scouts present for PLC meeting.

 7.  Fundraising Committee - Todd Hartjen.  Jennifer reported that the store is open; 2 families have participated in show and deliver; all seems to be on track so far.  Steve reports that the Willards are looking to hand over the reigns to someone else for Order Turn In night.  Ken H said he would do it.  Deb and Pam said they will also help.  We will need to make sure that the internet is working that night at St. Mary’s school.  Ramsey County Composting is confirmed for October 29.  Scott is figuring out how to get the insurance forms done prior to the event.  Patty reported that the committee figured that troop could perform the recertification themselves and will aim to do it in November as it takes 6-8 weeks to process the paperwork.  

8.  Community Service Committee- John Mercier reported FMSC is October 4 with 30 spots reserved.  They will meet at 5pm at Cub Foods White Bear Township and drive the scout’s home afterwards.  John will look at the website to make sure the webpage is up to date.              

9.    Fun Night is Nov 1st at Sky Zone.  Mike P needs to be the point person for this.  Scott will check the time frames with Mike since last year there was a mix up.   


10.   Treasurer's Report - Deb made the payment to Philmont.  There are 12 overdrawn accounts.


11.  Other - Youth Safety training will be held at the next committee Meeting Wed. Oct 26th at location TBD.  Marc is working on the new scout equipment lists.   Marc will meet with the Patrol Leaders and Asst. Patrol Leaders on Oct 11th to review responsibilities.    

12.  Old Business -   Sheila is working on developing Scout Patrol Boards.  
Comments